When SUSTAINORDIC was initiated we created a manifesto with 12 bullets to guide our way forward.
1. Strengthen Nordic values such as democracy, transparency, participation, diversity and equality.
By highlighting Nordic values specific to the region, we create attention and reflection regionally and internationally.
2. Share and export the Nordic methods and models for sustainable production and consumption internationally.
By creating awareness around existing examples where Nordic methods were used, we highlight the Nordic distinctive character and inspire new projects with similar methods.
3. Influence consumers by strengthening the values that correlate with sustainable attitudes and behaviors.
Through smart accessible information and examples of sustainable attitudes we inspire others to act.
4. Invest in the next generation by inspiring that sustainable development becomes an educational subject.
Giving children and young people increased space for knowledge on sustainability increases the possibilities of changing behaviors and values in the future of society.
5. Encourage decision-makers and producers to transparency regarding ethical and environmental information about products.
Increased knowledge encourages future consumers to make demands on transparency requirements on product content and origin.
6. Create incentives for reduced waste and wastage in the production chain.
Clear incentives lead to a greater degree of action and elaborate new options in future product development.
7. Facilitate the sharing economy for an increased utilization of products and services.
The collective use of products and services reduce new consumption and creates new and alternative services.
8. Promote circular economy by improving the overall performance of products throughout their life cycle.
We inspire greater awareness of the urgency of products and environments to be manufactured to be used with high quality – in technical or biological cycles.
9. Streamline production processes and improve environmental management.
Concrete and measurable examples of efficiency and the results of these generate interest for new initiatives.
10. Foster collaboration across different stakeholders to contribute to innovative and sustainable solutions.
To support new collaborations and create natural meeting places between actors contribute to new innovation and new solutions
11. Use the design process as a tool for sustainable development.
The design process as a tool leads organizations to action and contributes to merged skills and iterated knowledge.
12. Contribute to the debate, discussion and sharing of knowledge within the subject area.
Debate and discussion leads to distributed knowledge on sustainable development and inspires new knowledge within the subject area.